• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DaveMBos

DaveMBos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:20 PM

Why does Zurmo have to recognize a user to archive an email?  That is to say, why can't zurmo just parse the “from address” of an email and add it to a contact as opposed to having the recognize the user? If a contact exists in zurmo then the email will be attached to the contact and if not it (the email) can await creation into a contact as it does now.

The reason I ask this is because I can set my email server to copy all emails, sent to users, directly to the drop box. This would eliminate having to forward emails to the drop box or creating a plug-in to do that task.

Simply put, can the “recognize user” code be ignored in the whole process of the archiving emails?

Respectfully,

David

#2 raysto

raysto

Zurmo Team

• Administrators
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

Interesting suggestion. If you can join our Dev Session tomorrow, we can explain this further and offer a few ideas. We have Developer Sessions every Tuesday at 10:00AM Chicago Time (http://zurmo.org/for...arning-session/).

Ray Stoeckicht
Zurmo Team
Try Zurmo Pro

#3 WhiteRabit

WhiteRabit

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

Interesting suggestion. If you can join our Dev Session tomorrow, we can explain this further and offer a few ideas. We have Developer Sessions every Tuesday at 10:00AM Chicago Time (http://zurmo.org/for...arning-session/).

What ever happened to this question?

I have recently discovered this CRM and see it as a valuable tool for small businesses.  When I finally got it installed and the cron working on a shared server, things looked good. BTW: my hosting account cron job limit is once every 15 minutes.  They set up three cron jobs with all the zurmo tasks combined by frequency

But we have not been able to get archiving working to my satisfaction. Inbound email to a test contact always returns with error 'Email address does not exist in system'.  The email address does certainly exist in the system.

It will be great if we can have Zurmo scan through an active IMAP email account (where we have been keeping business emails) and create leads in Zurmo for each entity.

#4 raysto

raysto

Zurmo Team

• Administrators
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:47 PM

What ever happened to this question?

I have recently discovered this CRM and see it as a valuable tool for small businesses.  When I finally got it installed and the cron working on a shared server, things looked good. BTW: my hosting account cron job limit is once every 15 minutes.  They set up three cron jobs with all the zurmo tasks combined by frequency

But we have not been able to get archiving working to my satisfaction. Inbound email to a test contact always returns with error 'Email address does not exist in system'.  The email address does certainly exist in the system.

It will be great if we can have Zurmo scan through an active IMAP email account (where we have been keeping business emails) and create leads in Zurmo for each entity.

You might have something misconfigured, which could be causing the issues. We offer support for our commercial versions (http://www.zurmo.com/pricing) and have not seen any issues with email archiving.

Are you sending email from the proper email address of the Zurmo user? If you send from a different email address, then the system will not be able to match up the email even if the recipient is in the CRM.

Couple ideas:
1. Attend the Dev Session tomorrow and I can demo how the email archiving works or we can look at your settings to try to identify the issue
2. Request a free trial for testing (http://zurmo.com/free-trial). That will troubleshoot any installation/settings/configuration issues.

Ray Stoeckicht
Zurmo Team
Try Zurmo Pro

#5 WhiteRabit

WhiteRabit

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:30 PM

OK here is the information I used to test the email archiving functions

Set up a new account called mailtest

Added three contacts

Joe Mailtest1 primary email zurmo1 at company.com

Sam Mailtest2 primary email zurmo2 at company.com

Mail tester primary email name at company.com

The inbound message was sent from Thunderbird

From name at company.com

to zurmo at company.com

I have also set name at company to automatically forward all incoming mail to dropbox at company.com

dropbox at company is the dropbox mail account in email configuration

Sorry I may not be available for the developer conference tomorrow. 

Harvey,

#6 raysto

raysto

Zurmo Team

• Administrators
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:07 PM

Can you do this? Create a Zurmo user with name@company.com. Send email from name@company.com to Joe Mailtest1 primary email zurmo1 at company.com. Then look up Joe Mailtest Contact and see if the email archived properly. Also can you try sending from another email client (not Thunderbird). I want to see if that might be the problem.

• WhiteRabit likes this

Ray Stoeckicht
Zurmo Team
Try Zurmo Pro

#7 WhiteRabit

WhiteRabit

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

Yes. Did that and the inbound mail did get archived to Sam Mailtest2 as well as to the sender

Ran it from Thunderbird

Also submitted email via webmail

from the new user as above

and also from another user who is not a contact in zurmo

these other emails did not arrive (yet)  could come in later, maybe?

#8 WhiteRabit

WhiteRabit

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 09:52 PM

OK, patience is a virtue - at least in this case

Email archived under the new user properly

however, another contact with the same email address as the new user but  is not a user, still shows no traffic.

#9 raysto

raysto

Zurmo Team

• Administrators
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

OK, looks like it is working. This is a little bit confusing: however, another contact with the same email address as the new user but  is not a user, still shows no traffic. If you have another Contact with the same email address (duplicate), then you will want to merge those two Contacts together. Emails do not archive to users, but only Contacts

Ray Stoeckicht
Zurmo Team
Try Zurmo Pro

#10 WhiteRabit

WhiteRabit

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 01:09 AM

however, another contact with the same email address as the new user but  is not a user, still shows no traffic.

I tried to run a test with another email address.  I used my partner's email address to send it, then realized that the email was already a user.  We do not see this user as a contact, yet the correspondence archived to that account, instead of the person sending the message.

If I understand the intent of the system, you archive internal emails between users and from users to contacts.  You do not collect email traffic to and from a contact and archive it with that contact file?  Is that right?

To test this I sent a message from super user to a new lead and then replied from that lead, back to the super user.  Got the error message about the email address.

#11 raysto

raysto

Zurmo Team

• Administrators
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:18 PM

I think you might have things misunderstood. Email archival is for archiving an email from a CRM user to a Contact/Lead. It is never meant for tracking user to user email correspondence. That is what Conversations is for.

I'm a user in the CRM (username: Ray). I have a Contact called Harvey in my CRM. Using Outlook (or gmail or webmail or whatever email client I'm using), I send an email from the email I have listed in my CRM user profile (this has to match up) to Harvey's email address that is listed in the Contact record. I make sure to BCC the email archival address (archive@zurmotestwhateverdomain.com). Then I look at the Harvey contact record and see the email I sent under Latest Activities. If you deviate from this, then you will likely get an error message. I'm happy to do a demo to show you how it is done.

Ray Stoeckicht
Zurmo Team
Try Zurmo Pro

#12 raysto

raysto

Zurmo Team

• Administrators
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:25 PM

We have Zurmo Town Hall demo sessions every Thursday at 1:00CT:

http://zurmo.org/for...-townhall-demo/

Come join this week's session and I can explain further and help figure out what is going on with your instance.

Ray Stoeckicht
Zurmo Team
Try Zurmo Pro

#13 mivan

mivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:25 PM

Hello. I'd like to get back to the original topic by DaveMBos. I configured my postfix mail server to automatically bcc outgoing messages from Zurmo users to the Zurmo drop box. Now outgoing archiving works well, without the users having to deal with rules in their email client (nowadays ppl use webmail, mobile, tablets … so relying on client rules is a no go). But as for incoming mail, I have set up a Sieve filter to redirect incoming messages to the dropbox, but sieve does not alter the email body or the headers, so Zurmo won't attach the email to a contact (if I got it right Zurmo parses the BODY of the email to find the original sender as it expects the email to be forwarded). It would be great if an email FROM an existing CONTACT in the database TO an existing USER in Zurmo would be attached to the customer contact.

#14 raysto

raysto

Zurmo Team

• Administrators
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

Hello. I'd like to get back to the original topic by DaveMBos. I configured my postfix mail server to automatically bcc outgoing messages from Zurmo users to the Zurmo drop box. Now outgoing archiving works well, without the users having to deal with rules in their email client (nowadays ppl use webmail, mobile, tablets … so relying on client rules is a no go). But as for incoming mail, I have set up a Sieve filter to redirect incoming messages to the dropbox, but sieve does not alter the email body or the headers, so Zurmo won't attach the email to a contact (if I got it right Zurmo parses the BODY of the email to find the original sender as it expects the email to be forwarded). It would be great if an email FROM an existing CONTACT in the database TO an existing USER in Zurmo would be attached to the customer contact.

Zurmo does not have inbound email capabilities. The 'inbox' should not be used as an inbound mail client. That is not what we intended. Right now, we rely on Outlook, Exchange, and Gmail integration for inbound email.

Ray Stoeckicht
Zurmo Team
Try Zurmo Pro

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: email archiving

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users