#1 windsor

windsor

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 272 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida USA

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

Hi,

Not having a lot of experience with Mercurial and esp the zurmo team development process, think it would be helpful to have a dedicated session for beginners on how to use the source code control tools and processes. kind of a best practice guide. At one point there seemed to be some wiki articles, but have not been able to locate anything for beginners to get up to speed quickly on the code contribution process.

for example have made a lot of changes that would be good for the core, but don't really have time to research on my own and re-learn a new scc system and new conventions. Thus, a lot of my good stuff is not getting into the releases.  It would be great if we could have one of the zurmo devs lead us through how to best setup the dev environments, how to fork the code, basics of making updates and how to, merge  commit and then request a pull.  I think many more potential contributors would be interested in this kind of a training if it were made available.  

I know this is kind of basic for a lot of the seasoned devs who work with open source projcects on a regular basis, but for us old grey-hairs who came up in a different era it would definitely be helpful to get some pointers from the young turks.

Would like to hear from some of the rest of the community if this sounds like a good idea and if there is interest set up dedicated dev session or two to help get everyone up to speed on the contribution process.

#2 raysto

raysto

Zurmo Team

• Administrators
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

This is a great suggestion. Are there more people that would like to see this? If we can generate some demand around this kind of session, we can set it up. Or maybe, we dedicate 1 Dev Session per month for this kind of thing. What does everyone else think?

Ray Stoeckicht
Zurmo Team
Try Zurmo Pro

#3 iscon

iscon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationVienna/Austria

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:04 AM

I second this idea. I believe that, now since things are picking up, these sessions should have sort of a topic and questions should be collected upfront. Maybe one could dedicate say 20min to a particular announced (learning) topic, 20min to answer questions and the rest to an open discussion.

I'd also like to see a separate section (project?) on pivotaltracker where certain people outside of the core team can open topics so they don't disappear in the forums. Sometimes a great idea shows up in a very old thread as post #75 which nobody really reads anymore.

#4 raysto

raysto

Zurmo Team

• Administrators
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:29 PM

I second this idea. I believe that, now since things are picking up, these sessions should have sort of a topic and questions should be collected upfront. Maybe one could dedicate say 20min to a particular announced (learning) topic, 20min to answer questions and the rest to an open discussion.

I'd also like to see a separate section (project?) on pivotaltracker where certain people outside of the core team can open topics so they don't disappear in the forums. Sometimes a great idea shows up in a very old thread as post #75 which nobody really reads anymore.

Ok, great ideas. I like them all. Let's keep getting some more insight. We can definitely structure the Dev Sessions better so that we focus on certain topics rather than going in all different directions over the course of an hour. The Pivotal Tracker idea is also good. Maybe we can have some of the active Zurmo contributors added to that. What else? What other ideas does everyone have?

Ray Stoeckicht
Zurmo Team
Try Zurmo Pro

#5 Stafford

Stafford

Zurmo Member

• Moderators
  • 212 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

Scheduled! http://zurmo.org/for...sion-mercurial/

#6 debomedia

debomedia

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

Scheduled! http://zurmo.org/for...sion-mercurial/

Did the mercurial meeting happen this past thursday? I came on about 15 minutes late - but no organizer seemed to be there. If so, was it recorded. Let me know where I can watch it.

#7 Stafford

Stafford

Zurmo Member

• Moderators
  • 212 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:16 PM

It happened, but there seemed to be confusion about which link to use. We did not record it. We will redo it again. You can also join the Zurmo Zoo session on Thursday and ask Jason to recap the Mercurial stuff. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mercurial, hg, fork, bitbucket, merge, source code control

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users