Turhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

Hi,

Just a little question on a possible use case that might happen :

- I have installed zurmo and it is properly running on my current server.
- I have customized zurmo by adding custom fields through the designer
- I have also customized the fields presentation & ordering...

Let's suppose that this is running as it for several months.

But now I want to install zurmo on a more powerfull server.

The installation of a fresh version of zurmo on that new server is just a formality.
My question is the following : Is there a way to get all the schema changes (custom fields, layout organisation, search fields...) from my previous zurmo server in order to apply them in the newer zurmo server ?
Thank you

#2 Ivica

Ivica

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 565 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:43 PM

All schema changes will be stored in database(if you make those changes via Designer tool), so after yo backup/restore database, and copy files, everything should work. The only items you might need to change are settings in perInstance.php file.

#3 Turhan

Turhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

Ok. Database backuping seems to be a solution if I want to keep not only the structural changes (new fields, fields ordering and display) but also the whole data already stored.

What would be the scenario if I only wanted to keep the structural changes and start with a fresh empty environment regarding the data side.

Thank you for your help

#4 Jason

Jason

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 864 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:13 PM

Ok. Database backuping seems to be a solution if I want to keep not only the structural changes (new fields, fields ordering and display) but also the whole data already stored.

What would be the scenario if I only wanted to keep the structural changes and start with a fresh empty environment regarding the data side.

Thank you for your help

Interesting question. Normally i would say that you should use the zurmoZoo methodology to hard-coding the customizations so you can easily install the application fresh with all the structural pieces automatically added. But what you might be able to do is do a fresh install, overwrite your fresh install globalmetadata table with the content from your existing globalmetadata table. Then run updateSchema via command line (clear cache first). Then you might be set. You would need to test this though.

Jason Green
Zurmo Team
Need support? Upgrade now

#5 Turhan

Turhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

Hi Jason,

Ok, I will try that and let you know :)
Thanks

#6 rbryant

rbryant

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:52 PM

I have successfully done customization like adding a new module.  I understand how that can be done upgrade safe.  What if you want to add new fields to an existing module (like estHours to Task) in an upgrade safe manner?  I've done it both ways (through designer and by customizing Task) but through designer does not expose the column to reporting and charts.  My question is, can you hard code customization to existing modules in a way that is upgrade safe?  Same questions about views.  I want to be able to apply new versions without overwriting customizations. 

#7 chrisedwards

chrisedwards

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:27 AM

Just an FYI from what I've seen my custom fields added in the designer are showing up in reports.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: designer, custom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users