Photo

Best practices for Custom Business Rules (CBR)

Custom Business Rules

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 k1000o

k1000o

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationMadrid

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:51 PM

What is the best way to add Custom Business Rules to the system without affecting the standard platform behavior and making easy the migration to new releases.

The need is to provide the client or developer some files(folders) where he can implement his business rules that are automatically launched after and before the save action.

For example:
1) When creating a Contact and before it's saved by the system
- Read the department
- Based on the selected department build a customer code (with some rules)
- Assign this value to a new customized field called code
2) When creating a Contact and after it's saved by the system
- Read the department
- Assign a particular owner based on some rules
- Send an email to the owner informing that the new Contact xxx with code yyyy has been assigned to him

And when a new version of Zurmo is delivered he only has to move this folders/files to the new system and align the code if required.

#2 Jason

Jason

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 825 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:10 PM

Great question. There are events and behaviors that are native to Yii, but we can't really use those for what you are talking about effectively. I need to some sort of hook management system that can be 100% upgrade safe. I will work on this in the next week or so and post here when it is complete.

Jason Green
Zurmo Team
Need support? Upgrade now

#3 phumlani

phumlani

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:05 PM

My Question is it possible that when you create a group and that group has it super user and when one of the group users login cannot see other groups how can I impliment that if it is already a feature in zurmo?

#4 Jason

Jason

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 825 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

My Question is it possible that when you create a group and that group has it super user and when one of the group users login cannot see other groups how can I impliment that if it is already a feature in zurmo?

Can you rephrase your question? i am not exactly sure what you are asking.

Jason Green
Zurmo Team

#5 jimf

jimf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:17 AM

90% of the rules will be done when an object is saved. But it's also important to have a workflow that uses CRON to look for conditions that fire a rule. When I create a new contact, I'll want to do 'x', but I also might wan to send an email day 1 and another on day y7 after save. Obviously most all of the events can be created on save, but I may want an alert when one of my contacts gets a promotion (updates their linkedin profile).
Our biggest chore on workflow will be to determine how to make it powerful enough to meet everyone's business needs, and also point and click easy enough for a 'newbie' to say 'remind me to call Tom in a week' and have that setup easily.

#6 Jason

Jason

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 825 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:21 PM

90% of the rules will be done when an object is saved. But it's also important to have a workflow that uses CRON to look for conditions that fire a rule. When I create a new contact, I'll want to do 'x', but I also might wan to send an email day 1 and another on day y7 after save. Obviously most all of the events can be created on save, but I may want an alert when one of my contacts gets a promotion (updates their linkedin profile).
Our biggest chore on workflow will be to determine how to make it powerful enough to meet everyone's business needs, and also point and click easy enough for a 'newbie' to say 'remind me to call Tom in a week' and have that setup easily.

You bring up some great points. We do have plans to build a very powerful workflow engine that will be configurable via the UI. Your point about 'remind me to call Tom in a week' is essential, because typically workflow engines are only configurable by administrators. If we can bring that power in a simple way for regular users, it will get much more use.

Jason Green
Zurmo Team

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users