• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 daniellunt

daniellunt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:08 PM

i am building the system with multiple products, each product has certain criteria and therefore detail fields that i have to add to the database.

as several departments will use this system, dealing with the sales processes for the various products.

as each sales process will be different, and will therefore require different details, my plan has been to add all the fields for all the products into the products table, and then somehow output only the details pertaining to each product on that products detail page.

my question is, am i going about this correctly? and can it be done?

anyhelp would be really appreciated and reciprocated if i can

#2 windsor

windsor

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 272 posts
  • LocationTampa, Florida USA

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:16 AM

If there are just a few different fields, you could use the designer and add custom fields to the product configuration.  You can also try using different categories and catalog items to segregate products. you can set up categories and catalog items in the designer as well.

#3 daniellunt

daniellunt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:44 AM

There could be up to 30 extra fields per product, as they are quite involved.  However, this does seem to be the approach I had in mind, just I cannot find how categories add anything to the products module, I cannot figure out its use at all.

Also, how, using the designer, can I set things up so that Product 1 is accessible by Company 1 only, and has only the 30 relevant custom fields pertinent to it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users