#1 Rinck

Rinck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:15 AM

Hi,

I've seen a couple of discussions on this forum about printing/exporting to PDF, but none in the form of a simple feature request, so I'm adding it now.

For all reports you can generate in Zurmo, it would be awesome if you could download these as a PDF. Although I understand some functionality will be lost (drilling down in a summation report), being able to print to PDF (graphs and tables), with possibly a custom logo (of the company which is using Zurmo) seems like a common and basic need.

In addition, the report should (optionally) contain the following information:

* Time and date it was generated

* User who generated the report

* Name of the report

* Custom logo

Most of my customers (Zurmo or other) indicate they discuss these reports during management/staff meetings and having a piece of paper to talk about is much more convenient than using a laptop/beamer/tablet, etc.

Keep up the good work! :)

Diply Business Solutions - Official Zurmo Partner in The Netherlands! - www.diply.nl

#2 piesse

piesse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:49 AM

I add my +1 for this request.

Although we are going to a paperless world, customer still needs and asks for printed reports.

In my opinion powerful and easy to build reports are one of the plus of Zurmo, with PDF output this will be quite perfect.

regards,

Paolo

#3 Rinck

Rinck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:43 AM

I just stumbled upon an interesting method of generating PDF's with the Yii framework:

https://github.com/mikehaertl/pdfable

This is a Yii module for the PDFWkHtmlToPdf (composer) package. The latter is a wrapper function for the wkhtmltopdf library which uses Webkit to render HTML pages to convert HTML to PDF. From what I've read, this is a very clean method to do the conversion and it renders the pages beautifully as webkit is obviously a very mature engine.

The library can be used on a headless server and also provides statically linked libraries which should allow people to use this even on (some) shared hosting platforms.

If you're running multiple Zurmo installations on 1 server (which I assume Zurmo is doing with the Pro edition), you can use a single wkhtmltopdf instance for all HTML2PDF conversions, which seems efficient! :)

As a bonus, the amount of code required to convert to PDF is only a few lines. For Zurmo I could see you being able to re-use (partial) views, send them to PDF and done! 

And, last but not least: all components are open source and can be freely integrated into open souice and commercial software!

Of course there are alternatives such as TCPDF, which is a powerful PDF package, but also quite cumbersome to use (I've used it in a bunch of projects and the HTML rendering is very limited and it takes a lot of coding and fine-tuning to get the output just right).

Just thought I'd share this with you, hoping this may speed up the process of implementing this feature!

- Rinck

Diply Business Solutions - Official Zurmo Partner in The Netherlands! - www.diply.nl

#4 RonaldH

RonaldH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBest, Netherlands

Posted 12 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

It is true customers are asking for a hard copy report instead on the screen only. So +1 for me as well.

And this a SERIOUS request, not a nice-to-have but must-to-have.

Cheers, Ronald.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users