#1 sidewinder

sidewinder

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:54 AM

Hi,
first of all I'd like to thank you for this great piece of software. As I have been instructed on yiiframework forums I'd like to request 2 futures.
First one, which should be quite easy to implement (compared to second one ;) ), is support for the Opera browser. That's mine primary browser, and I open pages in other browsers just to check if they look ok when developing. Now, Zurmo is first page/web application I've seen which doesn't load at all ;(.

Second future request is an integration with google apps. Bidirectional sync with contacts looks like most interesting thing. Of course calendar synchronize would be a fantastic future as well. To be honest I don't see any place for gmail and docs syncing with the current version of Zurmo. Maybe you will add some neat futures some time where docs or mail will fit as well :).
Once again thanks for hours you spent coding Zurmo.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"Never memorize what you can look up in books."
Albert Einstein

#2 raysto

raysto

Zurmo Team

• Administrators
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:25 PM

Thank you for the kind words. Opera browser support has been added as a feature request. Google apps integration is on our radar. We need to think through the approach and prioritize which Google apps we will do first. Gmail, contacts, and calendar are the main elements and will hopefully be addressed in 2012. If you know any developers that have integration experience with Google apps, please pass them along. We could use some assistance getting started.

Ray Stoeckicht
Zurmo Team
Try Zurmo Pro

#3 sleahcim

sleahcim

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:51 AM

+1 for Google Apps integration. Gmail and calendar particularly.

#4 raysto

raysto

Zurmo Team

• Administrators
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

+1 for Google Apps integration. Gmail and calendar particularly.

Yes, gmail and google calendar would be a solid starting point. We recently implemented email archiving, which will work with Gmail and just about every other email client: http://zurmo.org/wiki/email-archiving

Ray Stoeckicht
Zurmo Team
Try Zurmo Pro

#5 ursako

ursako

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

Yes, gmail and google calendar would be a solid starting point. We recently implemented email archiving, which will work with Gmail and just about every other email client: http://zurmo.org/wiki/email-archiving

i see that google apps is available only in the pro edition...
why dont you say that you will never implement this feature in the open source variant. And if you will, this means you will restrict some other features....

i wonder if someone from the opensource community will develop this feature for free, you will update the main source code? OR you will end the update-ing source code like other open source org do?

Is not right to force me to give you 400$ every year, for me is chepper to give 200$ to an indian guy and develop this feature (and offer it for FREE).

but i am sure theat you are not interested to get an big open source community (like wp for ex), you are interested just for making money...

#6 raysto

raysto

Zurmo Team

• Administrators
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:27 PM

i see that google apps is available only in the pro edition...
why dont you say that you will never implement this feature in the open source variant. And if you will, this means you will restrict some other features....

i wonder if someone from the opensource community will develop this feature for free, you will update the main source code? OR you will end the update-ing source code like other open source org do?

Is not right to force me to give you 400$ every year, for me is chepper to give 200$ to an indian guy and develop this feature (and offer it for FREE).

but i am sure theat you are not interested to get an big open source community (like wp for ex), you are interested just for making money...

Thank you for your lively response. Our philosophy is that features that entail integration (such as Gmail), require support. Support is only offered with the commercial editions. I know this might be disappointing, but we feel it is the responsible decision. Publishing features that require support and then not offering it would be a bit irresponsible.

Also, it took a great deal of effort to create these integrations. We are pouring resources (time and money) into Zurmo and need to recoup our costs by generating commercial customers. We are not trying to force anybody into anything. For companies that want these integrations and support, they have the option to pay. We have built a feature rich, fully functioning CRM application that anyone can download and use. If someone wants to build a Gmail plugin for the Community Edition, that is great. I hope we get many people building awesome plugins and integrations. We will continue to support the ones we build and include them in the commercial editions.

Ray Stoeckicht
Zurmo Team
Try Zurmo Pro

#7 ursako

ursako

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

this is your philosophy.

Everybody come and play with your toy... and find the bugs for FREE, if you can... solve them for FREE, maybe you can improve it just for fun. .. this way whe can offer our clients...

this philosophy determine "based on ZURMO" 

this is the funny part in open source :D

#8 raysto

raysto

Zurmo Team

• Administrators
  • 1,934 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:45 PM

this is your philosophy.

Everybody come and play with your toy... and find the bugs for FREE, if you can... solve them for FREE, maybe you can improve it just for fun. .. this way whe can offer our clients...

this philosophy determine "based on ZURMO" 

this is the funny part in open source :D

We have never asked anyone to find bugs or fix bugs. We have some amazing contributors and community members in the Zurmo ecosystem that have provided input and feedback to improve the app. We are extremely appreciative of this. In return, we continue to develop at a high velocity and pump functionality into the Community Edition.

Most open source applications have a commercial version that includes support and some additional functionality. We have kept our Community Edition almost identical when it comes to feature set. For customers that want support and integrations, we give them an option. That is normal for open source. I'm sorry you think otherwise.

Ray Stoeckicht
Zurmo Team
Try Zurmo Pro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users