Photo

I need to change the ownership visibility for ALL leads/contacts. How?

ownership visibility owner mass update

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bbergman

bbergman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:24 PM

Due to a requirement change for all our users, I'm going to have to change the visibility settings for ALL leads and contacts in our system.

Ideally, I would add this to the Mass Update View in the Designer, and then select the leads, change the visibility/ownership, and be done with it. However, I can't add that field to the Mass Update View.

Bummer.

Now I'm faced with manually going through all our leads and contacts and changing each record to set it to "owner". As you can imagine, I'm not looking forward to that.

Can anyone suggest a safe way to do this in SQL? I'm very technically capable, but I don't want to mess up any potential referential integrity rules. If there's a SQL update query that I can do to make this easier, PLEASE point me in the right direction!

Thanks!

Bruce

(v2.7.2)

#2 speixoto

speixoto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:32 PM

Did you tryed exporting and importing your contact/leads? I think that should work.

#3 bbergman

bbergman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 04:34 PM

Did you tryed exporting and importing your contact/leads? I think that should work.

Hmmm. Interesting. I did NOT try that, but maybe I will give it a try with my test leads first.

The import process has some issues (not always reliable), so I'm a bit gun-shy about that. However, when I go back to import them in, I don't remember the ownership/visibility field being one of the import column settings. If I export, then delete the old leads, and then import, isn't it likely that they will inherit the ownership/visibility setting that is active?

(Note: this is different from "owner", which I CAN set. Ownership is the field defining who can view this lead...)

Thanks,

bruce

#4 speixoto

speixoto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:22 PM

When importing, the 3rd step is "Select Permissions", i think this is what you are looking for right?

#5 Burke

Burke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, GA

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:37 PM

you can export your contacts, accounts, etc.   then import them back in, 

during the import process you are given the option to set the permissions

It would be great if this was simply an option on the mass update function, even if it required super user access to do it.

#6 mivan

mivan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 09:53 AM

I am a bit cautious about the export/import thing ... there are a lot of related records to the contacts. Do you mean using deduplication and only update the existing contacts? Would this also update the R/W permissions?

Thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ownership, visibility, owner, mass update

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users